Join us for the 21 Day Savings Challenge. It's a short but intense period of saving money fast with easy 20-minute challenges. Be debt free or build your emergency fund months, even years, faster with this simple strategy! Sign up now (it’s free!)

The No Spend Month Challenge Starts Today

Welcome to The No Spend Month Challenge. If you’ve landed here and you’re not sure what No Spend Month is or why you should participate, read the introduction post to get all the answers. For the rest of you, I’m so glad you’ve chosen to participate in our little experiment in frugal living. I hope it will be a rewarding experience for you. Quite honestly, I’m thankful not to be doing this alone this year!  If you haven’t yet, sign up at the bottom of this post to let us know you are joining in. Then be sure to subscribe to GrowingSlower so you don’t miss a No Spend Month post.

The Rules

We’ve set the goal for spending $620 for all food, household, and transportation expenses. That number does not count all of our monthly bills like rent and utilities. It does not include healthcare expenses that may be necessary. It also doesn’t count gifts for others.

We came up with this number by looking at our ideal budget for groceries and gas and made that our goal. Let’s just say this represents a significant decrease from what we spent last month! It is strict enough to make us be really mindful about what we are spending and what we are buying.

What will your No Spend Month Challenge be? Everyone should make your own rules for what will be the best challenge for your family. Last year we set our spending goal based on our monthly grocery budget alone. You may want to keep it simple and just swear off dining out and buying coffee all month. Maybe you want to make a specific goal to save up for something special or to make a contribution to a cause. Perhaps a whole month sounds too daunting and you want to pick one week to try a No Spend challenge.

Get Started

Still not sure? Check out the posts from No Spend Month 2012.
Introducing No Spend Month
Week One
Week Two
Week Three
Week Four

Next Week

I look forward to hearing your experiences from the first week of the No Spend Month Challenge in the comments next week and throughout the week on Facebook. Bloggers, don’t forget we’ll have a link up each Wednesday this month for your frugal living, money saving, and No Spend Month posts.

What are the rules for your No Spend Month Challenge?

Sign up now for No Spend Month January 2014!

This post is linked up with Frugally Sustainable, Simple Lives Thursday, Your Green Resource, Tasty Traditions

Copyright 2011-2014 GrowingSlower. Thank you for subscribing to GrowingSlower. If you are reading this content elsewere, please contact me to let me know. Thanks!

1. Great idea! I can’t wait to follow along and be inspired to make some changes.

2. WOW- that seems low for food for an entire year! I am so curious on what you eat. I am sure it can be done but you must grow your own food and process it?

• Oh goodness! I wish that was our food budget for the year, but alas it is just for one month. It’s actually usually much higher. We have been trying to cut down, but since we are committed to eating healthy real foods, organic, and grass fed there is only so much we can do.

3. This is such a good idea. We really need to sit down soon and do an overhaul of our budget. Not because it’s going bad, but because I think we could be more mindful.

4. This is cool! Hubby and I have started talking about constricting our budget and saving more…well, paying off school loans, actually!

• Oh student loans! I just can’t bear the thought that at this rate we’ll still be paying them back when our children enter college! That is definitely a goal for us too.

5. If you need help or tips along the way you let me know. This would be a fun post series to do but this being what it is I do this almost every month! At least 6 months out of the year minimum. God bless my pantry ;-)

I have helped many friends in need but found that no one else cared to learn. I saw 2 of the same topic on one blog hop just now and it only just opened. I am glad people are waking up. Many will find it more of a challenge than they imagined if they give it a true shot.

Teri

PS unless you travel allot that is high for food and necessities so you can do it! I routinely spend less than $500 a month and have pets.

I will follow you!

6. Great idea! I have written down all my expenditures for years in a notebook – that way I know where the money goes and if I keep up with throughout the month, I know how we are doing with the budget! I have 10 children, 7 of whom are still at home but the others frequently eat with us for dinner (of course spouses and their children too!) I try to spend under $400 per month on food. With meal planning and eating out of the freezer, I can. Having our own family milk cow helps too!

I would love to have you share this on Thursdays at Tasty Traditions: http://myculturedpalate.com/

7. Wow! $400 a week for such a big family is truly admirable! I would love to know more about how you do it. I will be sure to stop by and link up. Thanks!

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares

Want to join us for the 21 Days to Save eCourse?

Join the 21 Days to Save eCourse (it's free!)

Take the first step to jump-start your money-saving journey. Sign up now to have the free eCourse sent directly to your inbox, including: quick and simple challenges to help you save money fast and free printables help you track your goals and stay motivated. Plus you'll continue to get exclusive tips and printables from GrowingSlower.

• Save money, fast!
  • Cut months off your debt
  • Simple 20-minute challenges perfect for busy moms
  • Free printables to keep you motivated

Want to join us for the 21 Days to Save eCourse?

Join the 21 Days to Save eCourse (it's free!)

• Save money, fast!
  • Cut months off your debt
  • Simple 20-minute challenges perfect for busy moms
  • Free printables to keep you motivated

JOIN US FOR THE 21 DAY SAVINGS CHALLENGE

Jump start your savings fast with these simple 20-minute challenges. Starts Wednesdsay. Sign up now; it's free!