Grocery Savings Made Simple eCourse

Shannon Brown of GrowingSlower blogWelcome to GrowingSlower! I'm Shannon, and this is the real mom's guide to simple living on a budget. At GrowingSlower you'll find simple strategies for...Saving Money, Cutting your Grocery Budget, Simple Living, and Family Life.

Want to join us for the 2015 Family Budget Challenge? Sign up now (it's free!)

5 Benefits of Going TV Free

Screen Free Week 2013 is next week April 29 through May 5. Here are some of the benefits our family has enjoyed by going almost TV free.

#5 may surprise you...Check out these 5 benefits of going TV free. www.growingslower.com #screenfreeweek #tvfree

Title image by .reid. on Flikr

5 Benefits of Going TV Free

1  As I’ve been striving to live more simply and reduce my ties to our consumer culture, I’ve realized that television is just another form of consumption.

It is like the plastic toys with flashy lights and sounds that don’t require kids to do any more than push a button for instant gratification. They don’t get to use their imagination or move their body. The fun quickly fades and leaves them bored and looking for the next thing to entertain them.

2  Turning off the TV can help us get back in touch with reality.

Being fed a constant diet of the monoculture portrayed on TV leaves us desensitized to real relationships. Are all husbands dopey and unhelpful? Are all wives nagging and overly sensitive? Are all kids shuffled off screen as an inconvenience? I don’t know about you but that’s not the reality I know.

Turning off the TV has allowed me to refocus on the real values of our family. Watching TV can easily allow things inconsistent with those values to slip into your home.

3  No not everything on TV is bad. Television has the potential to inspire and entertain. For the most part though TV is the equivalent of eating Doritos. We think we enjoy it, we can’t settle for just one, and in the end it’s really just junk. (I recently learned that lesson about both TV and Doritos.)
Take back control of what comes into your home. Whenever I do watch live TV now, I am honestly shocked at the content that I previously allowed in my home. It is amazing how desensitized I was to it and what I convinced myself was acceptable.
4  Enjoy the quiet. Hear yourself think. Hear your family speak.
It wasn’t until I stopped leaving the TV on constantly for background noise that I realized just how much it was cluttering my thoughts.
5  Watching less TV can give you the opportunity to pursue your passions. The average American watches four hours and 39 minutes of television every single day. Just imagine if you spent that much time writing the novel you’ve always dreamed of or working on your big business idea?

What would motivate you to try going TV Free?

1. What would motivate me to try going TV free…You just did!!! We will definitely go TV free next week. Who knows, maybe it will stick! Thank you for sharing.

• That is wonderful! I hope you’ll let me know how your TV free week goes!

2. Such great reasoning. When the pool is warm enough for us, we rarely turn on the TV all summer.

3. Good reasons! Now that the weather is nice we are turning the TV off more and enjoying the outside.

4. I love to turn the tv off and enjoy the quiet! It’s also nice to get outside and do things instead of sitting inside in front of the tv!

5. Love this! We’re going without TV right now!

6. We don’t own a TV and I can see such a difference in Jesse when we spend some time at my parents house (where the TV is always on) he comes home, over-stimulated and exhausted – no wonder.

7. Agree totally – these are the reasons why we do not own a TV :)